Since it’s almost time for the new year, I wanted to write a list of books I wanted to read before 2023 ends. Instead of just thinking of my most anticipated releases of 2023, I also wanted to think of previously published books that I want to read in the new year. Throughout the year, I plan to document my progress on my list! Here are my choices:
Looking over the books I chose to put on my list I noticed several trends, including:
I am not surprised that the most books on my list fall into the contemporary romance genre, as it is my most read genre during 2022. Among the contemporary romances, there are a couple books on this list which are holiday romances. This December, there were a few holiday romances which I wanted to read, but ran out of time to read, so I want to put them on the list for the next year.
However, there are a few fantasy books and graphic novel books sprinkled into my list this year. In my book goals for 2023, Many of the fantasy books on my list are reappearances from series that I loved in the past. A Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes is a prequel to The Hunger Games, so it is a must-read for me before the movie releases in November 2023. The Stolen Heir is a new boo kin a duology which follows characters from The Cruel Prince, a series which made it into my yearly favorites when it was released.
Something else that I noticed was the number of graphic novels included in my list. In my book goals for 2023, I mentioned how I wanted to get back into reading graphic novels. Since I have been wanting to read the Lore Olympus series, which has been published in print form, I thought this would be a great way to meet my goal.
There are a few statistics that I noticed regarding authors on my list. Out of 24 books, 16 books are from authors that I have previously read. The other six books are from authors who would be new-to-me. Additionally, on my list, there are quite a few authors repeated. Tessa Bailey, Christina Lauren, and Rachel Smythe each appear three times on my list. Tessa Bailey has two new releases planned for 2023, a duology which takes place on a vineyard, and I haven’t read My Killer Vacation, which she released last year. The author duo Christina Lauren has one new book to be released this year and I also included two previously published books that I would like to read. I haven’t been a fan of Christina Lauren’s newest releases (I DNF’d Something Wilder in 2022), but I’m hoping that I will enjoy the books that I have selected for my list. For Rachel Smythe, I would like to read at least three of the four published copies of Lore Olympus.
Reviewing my list, 8 of the books will be published in 2023 and 4 of these books were published in 2022 (it should be noted that Lore Olympus was published in print form during 2022, but was released on WebToon a different year). This means that half of the books which I planned to read in 2023 were published within the last couple years.
The List of Books (from left to right):
- The Stolen Heir by Holly Black
- Love & Other Words by Christina Lauren
- Secretly Yours by Tessa Bailey
- Meet Me at the Lake by Carley Fortune
- Happy Place by Emily Henry
- The Reunion by Kayla Olson
- The True Love Experiment by Christina Lauren
- Yours Truly by Abby Jimenez
- How the King of Elfhame Learned to Hate Stories by Holly Black
- Every Summer After by Carley Fortune
- My Killer Vacation by Tessa Bailey
- ‘Tis the Season for Revenge by Morgan Elizabeth
- Unfortunately Yours by Tessa Bailey
- Lore Olympus Volume 1 by Rachel Smythe
- Lore Olympus Volume 3 by Rachel Smythe
- Love Olympus, Volume 2 by Rachel Smythe
- Lovelight Farms by B.K. Borison
- Shipwrecked by Olivia Dade
- The American Roommate Experiment by Elena Armas
- In a Holidaze by Christina Lauren
- Love, Theoretically by Ali Hazelwood
- The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes by Suzanne Collins
- Stand Up, Yumi Chung! by Jessica Kim
- Lore Olympus Volume 4 by Rachel Smythe
What books do you plan to read in 2023?
4 thoughts on “24 Books I Plan to Read Before 2024”
Amazing books ahead! I cannot tell you how excited I am for Yours, Truly!
LikeLiked by 1 person
I hope you can get all of these read. There are some great books here.
LikeLiked by 1 person
[…] December 27: 24 Books I Want to Read Before 2024 […]
[…] in 2022, but I didn’t pick it up before December ended. As a result, I put this book on my 24 books to read before 2024 list. This book seems to be about saving a Christmas tree farm so I look forward to read it during […]